Mr Karthik Somasundaram qualified in Medicine in 1997 from Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, then Madras, India. Subsequently he completed Post graduation in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery in the year 2000 from the prestigious institute at Manipal Academy of Higher Education, India. He went ahead to be inducted as Diplomat of the National Board in Trauma & Orthopedics, Specialist Certification in 2003.
He worked as an Assistant Professor in Trauma & Orthopedics at PSG Institute of Medical Sciences, a post graduate teaching institution at Coimbatore, India for three years. He came to the United Kingdom to achieve further higher surgical training in 2005, and passed the Membership exam of the Royal College of Edinburgh in the same year. He then joined West Middlesex University Hospital, London.
He was accepted to sit the exit specialist Fellowship examinations of Royal College in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery with his overseas experience, successfully completed it in 2008 and inducted as Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh.
He then worked as SAS Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon from 2009 to 2016 to become a Consultant after Specialist Certification into the Register in 2016. During the period he did post CCT Fellowship in Hip, Foot & Ankle, and Trauma Surgeries at KingÕs College Hospital, London. He later did Fellowships in Foot & Ankle Surgery at UHSM Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, AO Masters Foot & Ankle Fellowship and further honorary Fellowships in Hands & Paediatric Surgery again at KingÕs College Hospital, London.
He was appointed at Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon at Morriston Hospital, Swansea Bay Health Board from 2016 and sub-specialises in Foot & Ankle Surgery. He is a clinical supervisor for Orthopaedic trainees, Physiotherapists and extended scope Nurse practitioners.
He also completed a postgraduate certificate in Medical leadership and Education at Keele University with his previous Diplomas in MSK Ultrasound skills and Computer Science.
He has published 7 scientific articles and 15 abstract publications in various sub specialties of Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery and holds multiple professional body memberships, including British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
His areas of interest include:
- Bunion deformity Correction, Scarf, Basal, MICA Osteotomies
- First MTPJ Fusion for Hallux Rigidus
- Lesser Toe Deformity Correction
- MortonÕs Neuroma Excision
- Bunionette Correction
- Lisfranc Fracture fixation
- Midfoot Ostoarthritis Injection, Arthrodesis
- Rheumatoid Foot Deformity Correction
- Subtalar Arthroscopy, Arthrodesis
- TNJ Fusion, Triple Fusion
- Tibialis Posterior Tendon insufficiency, Deformity Surgery
- Tendon repair, Tendoscopy
- Coalition open/ arthroscopic surgery
- Talus, Calcaneum, Cuboid, Navicular Fracture fixation
- Ankle Arthroscopic Surgery
- Ankle fracture fixation, Deformity Correction
- Tibial Pilon Fracture Fixation
- Ankle Arthroplasty, Arthrodesis, Pan-talar Fusion
- Ligament instability Surgery