Mark qualified from The London Hospital Medical College in 1995. He was awarded a Master of Surgery by the University of London, for a thesis into the development and progression of colorectal cancer. He completed his training in general and colorectal surgery in London, Cardiff and Swansea and undertook a prestigious fellowship in complex pelvic surgery at The Christie Hospital in Manchester.
Since his appointment as an NHS consultant in Swansea in 2007, he has specialised in the management of a wide range of malignant and benign colorectal conditions, but specifically diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy, minimally invasive surgery, diverticular disease, anal conditions and inflammatory bowel disease.
Mark also undertakes elective general surgical procedures including hernia surgery and manages general surgical emergencies. Mark is committed to delivering the highest standards of care from a patient’s very first consultation right through to their after-care. He believes that patient safety and patient choice are paramount and provides a professional and personal service for all his patients.
Procedures commonly performed
- Hernia surgery – including inguinal, femoral, umbilical and incisional
- Haemorrhoid treatment including THD
- Colorectal cancer surgery
- Surgery for inflammatory bowel disease
- Surgery for anal fissure
- Anal fistula surgery
- Pilonidal disease surgery
- Associate Professor Swansea University Graduate Entry Medicine (2013-)
- Member of court of examiners Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Secretary of Welsh Surgical Society
- Medical advisor to Healthcare Management Trust Charity (HMT)
- Clinical Director of Surgery, Swansea Bay Health Board (2016-2019)
- Reviewer for BJS, Colorectal Disease and Annals of Royal College of Surgeons
- Chair of Colorectal Cancer CSCG (2011-2015)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Member of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the British Hernia Society
- Member of the Pelvex International Collaborative