Mr Evans is a Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon in Swansea and Associate Professor of Surgery at Swansea University.
Martyn is a busy experienced General, Laparoscopic and Colorectal Surgeon. His practice includes treating patients with a variety of abdominal conditions, with particular expertise in the management of abdominal wall hernias, anal conditions, diverticular disease, inflammatory bowel disease, gallstones and the diagnosis and management of colorectal cancer. He has a tertiary referral practice for patients with inflammatory bowel disease and advanced and recurrent pelvic malignancy from all over South Wales.
Martyn was appointed as a NHS Consultant Surgeon in Swansea in 2012. Prior to appointment, he completed his undergraduate training in Southampton and then undertook basic and higher surgical training on the south coast and in Wales. After completion of training he undertook a further prestigious fellowship in laparoscopic colorectal and advanced pelvic malignancy at the John Goligher Colorectal Unit in Leeds.
Additional responsibilities / interests:
- Editor for the surgical journal BJS (formerly the British Journal of Surgery)
- Associate Professor of Surgery Swansea Medical School
- Chairman of the UK National Bowel Cancer Clinical Project Board
- Active research interests to improve the outcomes of colorectal cancer treatment
- Published in excess of 60 peer reviewed research paper, written and edited several book chapters in surgical textbooks and lectured at surgical meetings
- Member of the Multi-disciplinary Committee of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the UK National Bowel Cancer Audit Steering Group
- Member of the NCEPOD Clinical Advisory Group Bowel Obstruction review
- Clinical Lead Department of General Surgery, Swansea Bay Health Board (2016-2019)
Procedures commonly performed include:
- Hernia surgery Ð including inguinal, femoral, umbilical and incisional, colonoscopy
- Laparoscopic colorectal surgery for benign and cancer disease
- Surgery for advanced and recurrent colorectal cancer
- Haemorrhoid treatment
- Surgery for anal fissure
- Pilonidal disease surgery
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy