Dr Mark Ridgewell is a Consultant Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician. His main field is the management of soft tissue and overuse injuries across the whole spectrum from elite performers to those who are starting to undertake low level exercise. He specialises in the prevention and management of exercise-related injuries and osteoarthritis as well as rehabilitation. From 2003-2020, he was be the Lead Physician for the High Performance Unit at the Sport Wales Institute in Cardiff. He has vast experience across a range of world-class and elite sports including Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming, Hockey, Netball Cycling, Tennis, Cricket and Triathlon. He has extensive experience in dealing with young athletes across many high levels sports.
He leads the Swansea Bay University Health Board musculoskeletal service, which sees over 12000 patients with soft tissue, bone and joint problems annually.
For many years he was Programme Director of the acclaimed Masters in Sport & Exercise Medicine course at Cardiff Metropolitan University, and is still Principal Lecturer at the University. He has mentored many high-level Sport and Exercise Medicine Consultants and Physiotherapists working in high level sport.
Over the last 25 years Dr Ridgewell has gained considerable experience in the management of sporting injuries, specialising in the non-surgical treatment of soft tissue injuries affecting muscles, tendons and ligaments, particularly in the exercising population. He also has a wealth of experience from his days as a GP enabling integration of his wider medical knowledge and understanding of complex cases. He has excellent communication skills and liaises closely with Physiotherapists, Osteopaths/Chiropractors and Orthopaedic Surgeons to determine the best management plan to bring good outcomes for his patients.
He understands the significant effects that injury and pain can have on normal day to day life and very much encourages physical activity in his treatment plans.
Other recent and current appointments:
- LTA National Tennis Academy Lead Doctor, Loughborough University
- Consultant Team Physician to JLT Condor and Team Storey Cycling Racing Teams (2015-2021)
- Player doctor for the WTA Premier Tournament Birmingham Classic 2013-present
- 2005-2012 1st Team Doctor and Chief Medical Officer Doctor Football Association of Wales
- 2010-2014 Lead Sports Physician Scarlets Rugby
- 1991-2003 Team Doctor to Ospreys, Swansea RFC, Wales Under-18 and Under-21 Rugby
- 2000-2003 National Team Doctor and chief medical advisor England and Wales Cricket Board